Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Zack Snyder Sucker Punches Audiences with 2011 Project

When I saw that High School Musical star, Vanessa Hudgens was attached to a ZACK SNYDER project called Sucker Punch, I almost wrote it off. I also saw former "Real World" member Jamie Chung (she went on to star in Sorority Row). Again, I thought, I'll pass. When I read that Emily Browning (photoshopped featured in the below poster) was starring I thought I may listen out for news. I liked her in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and earlier projects. I did become interested when hearing that John Hamm (Mad Men) and Carla Gugino (Watchmen), and Jena Malone (The Soloist) were cast. I absolutely loved Malone in Bastard out of Carolina and Donnie Darko, I predict she'll be the voice of reason in this flick.


The trailer and more when you read on....
The film is said to be set in the 1950s when Baby Doll (Browning) is institutionalized in an insane asylum. She escapes to a fantasy world with music and must fight to escape before undergoing a lobotomy. Earlier this year, director Zack Snyder described this movie as "Alice in Wonderland with machine guns". I also read that Snyder enlisted the same fight choreographers from his earlier 300, so Sucker Punch is likely to deliver just that! 

The website is not all that interesting (yet), it features our heroines shooting at soldiers amid fighter planes and blimps. They stand on top of human skulls and in the shadow of a tall robot equipped with heavy artillery, brandishing Japanese script on its head. They recently added the following artwork to the website.

One has to wonder how women will be portrayed in this film. It appears to be a double-edged sword as they depict female warriors and as mentally unstable, hypersexualized burlesque dancers and/or entertainers. I don't think soldiers fight in garter belts and bustiers even if they have an AK 47. 

While I loved Sin City, women are the depicted as the root of all of the heros' problems and/or damsels in distress. The same can be said of Watchmen. I hope that Snyder doesn't take these pretty young actresses in that direction as it would be easy to do and cliché



The Warner Bros. film will Sucker Punch theaters March 25th, 2010. I'll try to keep you updated on this film since they seem to be working on an elaborate marketing campaign.


No comments:

Post a Comment